What is SAT Subject Test?
SAT is a standardized test used for admissions for undergraduate program majorly in the United States. SAT stands for – Scholastic Assessment Test. SAT subject Tests are content based exams on specific subject.
Some colleges may require the SAT subject based score or once can also take the exam for enhancing their admission application.
What is SAT Subject Test?
SAT Subject Test Type:
Paper-based standardized test
SAT Subject Test Administrator:
SAT Exam- Skills Tested:
Specialization in the chosen Subject
SAT Subject Test Duration:
SAT Subject Test Score Range:
200 – 800
SAT Subject Test Dates:
- Six Times Annually
- January, May, June, October, November and December
SAT Subject Test Fees:
- One Registration Date upto three Subjects – USD 75
- Language Tests with Listening – USD 75
- Additional Subject Tests – USD 67
- Other Fees include
|Phone Registration – only if registered previously||USD 15|
|Rescheduling Fees||USD 28|
|Late Registration||USD 28|
|Waitlist Fee||USD 46|
|Additional Report||USD 11.25|
|Rush Report – First – Class mail / Electronic||USD 31|
|Scores by Phone – if registered||USD 15|
SAT Subject Scores used by:
Most Universities / Colleges offering undergraduate programs in the United States
SAT Subject Tests – Format & Timing
Students are required to select among 20 subjects like Social Science, World History, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics etc. The five general categories of subjects are Mathematics, Science, English, History & Languages. These tests are an hour long – content based tests in specific subjects.
- One Hour Long Test on Specific Subject
STEP 1 – Choosing your SUBJECT TEST
The SAT Subject Tests should be based on your interests and academic strength. The tests are a great way to show colleges your interest in specific majors or programs of study.
STEP 2 – College Requirements & Recommendations:
If you have already shortlisted you Universities and are keen to pursue courses in them, then it is advisable to check the requirements of specific subject test to take up your program.
STEP 3 – Academic Experience
Keep a check on the recommended course work for the subjects you are applying for. Keep practicing!
Categories for SAT – Subject Tests
|Subject Category||Subject Sub Category||Questions||Skills|
|Mathematics||Mathematics Level 1||50 Multiple Choice Questions||The difficulty level of the questions will be based on the level chosenü Numbers & Operationsü Algebra & Functionsü Geometryü Data Analysis, Statistics & Probability|
|Mathematics Level 2|
|Science||Biology(Ecology / Molecular)||80 Multiple Choice Questions||ü Cell & Molecular Biologyü Ecologyü Geneticsü Organismal Biologyü Evolution and Diversity|
|Chemistry||85 Multiple Choice Questions||ü Structure of Matterü States of Matterü Reaction Typesü Stoichiometryü Equilibrium and Reaction Rates|
|Physics||85 Multiple Choice Questions||ü Mechanicsü Electricity and Magnetismü Waves and Opticsü Heat and Thermodynamicsü Modern Physics|
|English||Literature||60 Multiple Choice Questions||ü English Literatureü American Literatureü Chronologyü Poetry & Prose|
|History||U.S History||90 Multiple Choice Questions||Topics covered from Pre Columbian History to Presentü Political Historyü Economical Historyü Social Historyü Intellectual & Cultural Historyü Foreign Policy|
|World History||90 to 95 Multiple Choice Questions||Pre History, Civilizations to Post 1900. C.EGlobal Comparativeü Europe / Africa/ Asia/ America|
|Languages||Only Language||70 to 85 Multiple Choice Questions||Skills Tested – Vocabulary, Structure & Reading Comprehensionü Frenchü Germanü Modern Hebrewü Italianü Latinü Spanish|
|Language With Listening||20 Minutes Listening + 40 Minutes Readingü Chineseü Frenchü Germanü Japaneseü Koreanü Spanish|
SAT Subject Test - Location & Dates
One can register for the SAT Subject Test six times during the year. However students must check if the subjects are available on these dates.
- January – October
- May – November
- June – December
Deadlines mentioned expire at 11.59 PM Eastern Time, Unites States .
|Ahmedabad International School, Ahmedabad||Anjuman Isalm HS, Mumbai||Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School, Chennai|
|Assembly Of God Church School, Kolkata||Bangalore International School, Bangalore||Billabong High International School, Bhopal|
|Bishop Cotton Boys, Bangalore||Bombay Teacher’s Training College, Mumbai||Canadian International School, Bangalore|
|City Montessori Intercollege, Lucknow||Delhi Public School, Ahmedabad||Delhi Public School, Hyderabad|
|Ebenezer International School, Bangalore||G D Goenka World School, Haryana||Good Shepherd International School, Ootacamund|
|Kodaikanal International School, Kodaikanal||LA Martiniere for Boys School, Kolkata||Learning Paths School, Mohali|
|Mahindra United World Col of India, Pune||Mother’s Public School, Bhubaneshwar||Navrachana International School, Vadodara|
|Oakridge International School, Vishakapatnam||Pathways World School, Gurgaon||Sacred Heart College, Cochin|
|Sai International School, Bhubaneshwar||Sangam School of Excellence, Bhilwara||Sanskritithe Gurukul, Guwahati|
|South City International School, Kolkata||Spring Dale Senior School, Amritsar||Sreenidhi International School, Telangana|
|St Michael’s Senior Secondary School, New Delhi||Step by Step International School, Jaipur||Swati Jain College, Indore|
|The Cathedral + John Connon, Mumbai||The Doon School, Dehradun||The Galaxy School, Rajkot|
|The International School, Bangalore||United States – India Educational Foundation, American Center – Kolkata||Uniti Foundation, Hyderabad|
|University of Pune, Pune||USIEF, New Delhi||Woodstock School, Mussoorie|
SAT Subject Tests - Scoring & Results
The Score range for Subject Tests in SAT is 200 – 800. Language Tests with Listening also report subscores, on a scale of 20 to 80. Your scores tell college admissions staff how you did compared with other students who took the test.
The test takers have the ability to choose whether or not to send scores to the Universities ‘Score Choice option’.
Two Steps to determine one’s SAT Subject Test Score.
STEP 1 – Establishing a Raw Score
- One point added to each correct answer
- A fraction of a point is subtracted for wrong answers:
- 1/4 point is subtracted for five-choice questions.
- 1/3 point is subtracted for four-choice questions.
- 1/2 point is subtracted for three-choice questions.
- No points deducted for Unanswered questions
- Difference of Correct and Incorrect Answers – if the total is a fraction, it is converted to nearest whole no.
STEP 2 – Converting Raw Score to Scaled Score – 200 to 800; this process is called Equating
- Scores do not depend on the specific test edition
- Scores do not depend on the performance of other test takers in the same edition of the test
Cancelling SAT Subject Test Scores
One can cancel their SAT Subject Scores incase they are not satisfied with the performance during the test, Certain guidelines to be taken into consideration before you cancel your scores.
At the Test Center
- Ask the Supervisor for the Cancel Test Scores form – Fill & Sign the form, then return it back to the Supervisor
- Incase you face equipment failure which has effected your performance, fill the Cancel test Scores form checking – equipment failure and submit it
- Ensure the form is submitted to the Supervisor before you leave the Center.
After Leaving the Test Center
If you decide to cancel your scores after you leave the test center, the request should be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. ET on the following Wednesday after test day. The cancellation request cannot be via phone or email as the signature is required for authorization.
Download the SAT Request to Cancel Test Scores Form – Fill and Send it either by FAX or Overnight Mail Service.
FAX Details: 610-290-8978
Mail Address: SAT Score Cancellation
1425 Lower Ferry Road
Ewing, NJ 08618
The mailing or fax label should read “Attention: SAT Score Cancellation.”
Cancellation / Rescheduling / Retake SAT Exam
Cancellation of SAT Exam:
IF the test taker decides to cancel the registration for their SAT Subject Test, following points to be taken in consideration
- Registration fees will not be refunded, less than five days before the test day
- If the test taker cancels the registration more than five days before the test date, only USD 10 will be refunded from the original amount
- The refunds will be processed six weeks after the exam date
- Incase the test taker ordered for additional test reports, it will be refunded only if the test taker is absent on the test day.
- Refunds will be in the form of original mode of payment
Rescheduling of SAT Exam:
IF for any reason, the test taker cannot take the SAT Exam on the original date, rescheduling is a better option, rather than paying the registration fee all over again. Pointers for Rescheduling SAT Exam.
- Incase the test takers is absent on the test date, one can change the test date, rather than re-registering got the Exam by paying USD 28
- If you have made a mistake while filling out your information, Name, Date of Birth, Sex, you are required to update the changes within no less than five days of the date
- One can change the Test subject on the day of the Test. The Center has booklets for all the Subjects that will be conducted, you can pick another subject if you wish too
- One cannot change from Language Test to Language with Listening Test.
Make-up Testing :
If for any reason, your test centre is not functional on the test day, a make-up test may scheduled at your center – will be notified by SAT – Subject program. Conditions for Make – Up Tests.
- Only applicable for registered students. Not valid for Retest
- One must bring the updated test ticket with all the required details
- Make-up test will only be carried at the original authorized test center
- You must take the entire test at a makeup administration.
- Sunday testing is available for religious reasons only. You may not test on Sunday if you missed the test on Saturday.
- The availability of makeup testing and the conditions under which test-takers are entitled to take a makeup test are at the sole discretion of the College Board.
SAT Subject Exam Retakes:
The test taker can retake the SAT Exam as many times as they wish to on the available dates. It is definitely not a wise idea as some Universities demand all the scores from each attempt even if they would consider the best score – Not advisable as it allows them to form a opinion about your application.
We advise our students to be well prepared and book the test in advance.
SAT Subject Test Coaching & Quick Tips on SAT from ILW
Quick facts on coaching:
- Small student batches
- Flexible timings you can select during the week, in the weekends, in the evenings
- Coaching can run from two weeks to 1 month (generally twice or thrice a week)
- Additional hours are provided for students who cannot cope with the learning
- Study material is provided
- Free help with SAT registration is provided
- Fast track coaching is available where you can be prepared for the test within 10 days
ILW provides coaching for SAT Subject Tests. For further details kindly contact us on +91 9820864001
Quick Notes for your SAT Exam
- Plan your SAT – Subject test in advance. Ensure the dates do not clash with your other Academic Examinations ensuring complete attention and focus.
- All multiple choice questions in each section are weighted equally
- The key to crack these test is practice!
- Focus on the concepts taught until High School
- Keep taking practice tests – it will give you a good heads up on your performance