It’s becoming increasingly popular for students with a Bachelor’s in India to want to pursue hospitality management or hotel management in Switzerland. We’re often asked about details for an MS in Switzerland. However, it would be good to note that many students opt to study a Post Graduate Diploma in Switzerland.
Some quick notes to clear your most common queries:
- Duration of MS in Switzerland: MS in Switzerland is of 1 to 2 years duration in general. Some M.Eng programs are of one year duration. Indian students should mostly prefer to study a 2 years MS in Switzerland
- Intakes: Most MS programs in Switzerland will begin in Fall (September) each year but universities in Switzerland accept admissions throughout the year on a rolling basis.
- Cost of Studying MS: Course fee for MS in Switzerland ranges between CHF 3,000 to CHF 13000 for the full program (typically tuition fees are paid as per the number of semesters. Few Masters course have Tuition fee higher than this range. Note: Higher fee does not determine the quality of the MS program.
- Work Experience Requirement: No work experience is required to apply for MS programs in Switzerland
- GRE: No GRE is required.
- English Language Requirement: Either IELTS test or TOEFL test is compulsory. The test could be done within one month from the date you decide to take the test ie. preparing for the test, registering for the test, to appearing for it. If you need to register for the test or need help or coaching, you could contact us at +91 9820864001
- Time to Apply: Best time to apply for MS in is in October to March for the forthcoming Fall (Aug/Sept) start. Different Universities have different deadlines. It is considered best to apply before the first application deadline to improve of chance of acceptance.
- Work During Study: Students can work up to 15 hours per week during their studies and could vary from canton to canton (state or province). Wages vary CHF 10hrs/ week. Students may also get Graduate Assistantship, Research Assistantship or Teaching Assistantship while pursuing MS
- Work After Study: Third country nationals who earn a degree from a university in Switzerland may stay in the country for up to six months after graduation to stay. You may seek full, permanent employment and during this job search you are allowed to work 15 hrs/ week
Some Masters and Post Graduate Diploma in Hospitality Management in Switzerland:
Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Master in Global Hospitality Business
Intakes: February, September
Duration: 3 Semesters
Tuition Fees: CHF 35,000
Postgraduate Diplomas in Hospitality Management
Duration: 2-3 Semesters
Tuition Fees: CHF 17,200 per Semester
Les Roches International School of Hotel Management, Bluche – Switzerland
Postgraduate Diploma in Hospitality Administration
Intakes: January, July
Duration: 18 Months
Tuition Fees: CHF 36,700 (2 Semesters + 1 Internship)
Postgraduate Higher Diploma in Hospitality Management
Intakes: January, July
Duration: 24 Months
Tuition Fees: CHF 56,100 (3 Semesters + 1 Internship)
Master of Science in Hospitality Leadership
Intakes: January, July
Duration: 12 Months
Tuition Fees: CHF 39,800
Age Requirement: Minimum 21 Years
Admission requirement for studying MS in Switzerland:
Students need to submit all their marksheets from 10th to final year of studies to study an MBA in Switzerland. A first class from a recognized University will be good to apply
In order to get admission in the Swiss universities, candidates need to demonstrate English language competency by scoring high in TOEFL or IELTS exams. In IELTS, the preferred score is 7.0 or 6.5 (out of 9) and in TOEFL iBT, the preferred score is 102 or higher but different Universities have TOEFL requirement starting from 80 (out of 120). Both TOEFL and IELTS test dates are available each month. Learn more about TOEFL or IELTS
Statement of Purpose (SOP)
All students must write a Statement of Purpose (SOP). It’s a 1.5 to 2 page essay where you can talk about your previous education, you career interests, your future career goals, why study in Switzerland, why a particular University or a Swiss Hotel School and any other experiences that help you stand out of the crowd
A well crafted resume goes a long way. It should clearly talk about your employment, education, and achievements. Generally, we recommend that your resume / CV should be should only be of one page. Here is where you can get a simple explanation on what can appear on a smart resume
Letter of Recommendation
A recommendation letter that highlight candidates’ achievements in academic or professional world would add great value to the candidature.
- If you are working (after your graduation), then it is advisable to get at least one recommendation letter from your immediate supervisor who is generally considered to be in the best position to have been able to observe your work and assess your capabilities
- If you are applying while you are studying in your final year, then you should try and take recommendation letters from referees who have taught you a subject. Additionally, you can take one from the Principal or Dean or Director
- Mostly Switzerland Universities prefer an online recommendation. You will need to register the referees online (in the online application portal). Your referee will receive an email from the Swiss University and your referee will have to following the instructions to submit the recommendation online
- While registering the referees, it is preferred to have the Institutional or Organizational email id (not gmail, yahoo, outlook, etc.)
- Your referees will have to submit the recommendation before the application deadline
- Most Swiss Universities will ask for at least 2 recommendations
It is not necessary to have work experience (in general) to apply for MS courses in Switzerland. If however you do have work experience after your graduation, highlighting that fact is an added advantage. Work during your studies is considered to be part-time work (which does not substitute for full-time work). Some Universities will recommend you to include the work experience letters during the application stage if you have a gap between your last qualification and the time when you are applying for your MS program
Generally, there are NO interviews conducted for MS applicants. Your application is your only chance to display all your skills to the University.
In minimal or exceptional cases, there might be an interview. These interviews could be conducted by a faculty member or a staff or an alumni or a third party representative appointed by the University. These interview are more often informal in nature and are meant for information exchange. These interviews allow university representatives to judge the candidates’ focus, passion, future career goals and personality.
Our experience says that interviews last anything between 15 to 45 minutes. These interviews may through a telephone call or via skype
Switzerland Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in Switzerland, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in Switzerland hassle-free.
We are experts at what we do.We started in 2002 and have helped 1000s of students (personally) since then. The collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We are extremely personal. Students ask us 1000s of questions and we enjoy replying to these. You will have one dedicated team member who you will be able to contact throughout the service. We don’t count the number of hours spent on you. We don’t shed away responsibilities. We work on your side and have just one thing in mind—to get you your best in your career
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide