The TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test can help keep your dreams on track. Make sure to review these requirements and procedures so that you’re properly registered and ready to take the test at home.
NOTE- This provision is for the period when Test Centers are closed.
Be sure that your computer and testing room meet the following requirements before you register for the GRE® General Test at home. If they don’t, you will not be able to test.
Preparation Checklist – Equipment
- Must be a desktop or laptop computer, not a tablet or mobile device.
- For a PC, you must use the Windows® operating system, versions 10, 8, or 7
- For a Mac® computer, you must use OS X 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra is recommended).Must use Chrome™ or Firefox® browser.
- Browser: Chrome™ or Firefox® browser
Speaker: Must use an internal or external speaker to hear the proctor. Headsets or earphones are not allowed
Microphone: internal or external; not part of a headset
Camera: Camera must be able to be moved to show the proctor a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface, before the test. Can be a built-in camera in the computer or a separate webcam
Download and install the ETS Test Browser on the computer you will use for the test. To fully install the browser, you must run the .exe file after downloading it.
Run the ProctorU® System Check from the computer you will use for the test.
Environment and Testing Space Privacy
- You must be alone in a room with no one else entering during the test.
- Testing in a public space such as a park, internet cafe or restaurant is not allowed.
Tabletop and seating
- Your computer and keyboard must be on a desk or other tabletop surface.
- The tabletop and surrounding area must be clear of all items not approved for use during the test.
- You must sit in a standard chair; you may not sit or lie on a bed, couch or overstuffed chair.
- Food and drink are not allowed during the test.
Clothing and appearance
- Your ears must remain visible throughout the test, not covered by hair, a hat or other items.
- You must be dressed appropriately for your test. You will be monitored via camera by the proctor, and your photo will be shared with institutions that receive your scores.
- Avoid wearing such items as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories.
- You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
- You may take notes using 1 of the following:
- Whiteboard with erasable marker
- Paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
- You will be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.
Follow these steps to start your registration in your ETS account:
- Before you register, have your identification (ID) documents ready. Your primary ID should be a passport. If you do not have a passport, go to ID Requirements to see what other forms of ID are accepted in the country where you are testing. ETS is temporarily accepting government-issued IDs with expiration dates from February 1, 2020, forward. All other ID policies still apply.
- If you do not have an ETS account for the TOEFL iBT test, create an account. Make sure that the name in your account matches the name on your primary ID.
- Log in to your account.
- On your My TOEFL home page, select Register/Find Test Centers.
- On the Find Test Centers and Dates page, select the option for the Special Home Edition test. You will select your test date and time later with ProctorU®.
- Follow the directions to continue your registration and pay for your test.
- When you finish, you will receive an email from ETS confirming your payment.
- You will also receive an email from ProctorU with a link and temporary password to access your ProctorU account and select a test date and time. You can use this immediately to reserve your test date and time. If you don’t, keep it safe for future use.
Video and Online Monitoring
- During the test, a human proctor will monitor you (via video camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all testing procedures.
- Your entire test session will be recorded and your photo will be taken. Your photo from the test session will be shared with institutions as part of your TOEFL iBT score report.
Test Environment Reminders
- Make sure you are alone in a quiet, well-lit room.
- Make sure your table and the surrounding area is clear.
- Do not wear headphones or earphones.
- Make sure your ears are always visible and not covered by hair, a hat or other items.
- Recording devices of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Make sure your face is visible and not obscured by sunglasses or other accessories.
- Avoid wearing such items as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories
- Make sure you have acceptable note taking materials, such as a whiteboard or plastic transparency sheet that can be erased in view of the proctor.
- Log in to your ProctorU account at your appointment time. You will have up to 15 minutes after your scheduled time to begin your check in. If you have not checked in by that time, your test will be canceled and your fee will not be refunded.
- Select “Start Session.”
- Complete the authentication steps, which include showing your ID to the proctor. The name on your ID must match the name on your ETS account.
- The proctor will review the exam rules and request access to your computer screen for monitoring purposes.
- The proctor will ask you to use either a hand-held mirror or cell phone to show your computer screen.
- The proctor will ask you to use the camera on your computer to show a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface.
- When directed by the proctor, you will launch the ETS Test Browser. The proctor will provide the password to access the test.
During the Test
- Make sure you can be seen on camera by the proctor. Suspicious movements could invalidate your test.
- Do not use any unauthorized materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes or textbooks.
- Do not communicate with anyone else.
- There may be references to using a headset during your test. Ignore these, because headsets are not allowed in the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test.
- There is a 10-minute break after the Listening section when you are allowed to leave your seat. If you do not return on time, your test will be canceled and your fee will not be refunded. Unscheduled breaks are not allowed.
- At the end of the test, you will be able to view unofficial scores for the Reading and Listening sections. Then you will be given the option to report or cancel your scores.
After the Test
Most post-test procedures for the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test are the same as for tests taken at a test center.
- You will receive your scores in your ETS account 6–10 days after your test.
- Your scores will be sent to any institutions that you selected during registration.
- You can order additional score reports from your ETS account.
Please note: Due to mandatory business restrictions related to COVID-19, delivery of paper score reports may be delayed. Most paper score reports are being sent from ETS 1 to 2 weeks after the test date. Electronic score reports are being delivered on the regular schedule.