Masters in Engineering Management in the USA
What is Engineering Management?
Engineering Management lies at the interface between engineering and business. It contains elements of both as well as subjects unique to its own area of study. Engineering Management is a specialized form of management that is required to successfully lead engineering or technical personnel and projects. The term can be used to describe either functional management or project management. Engineering managers typically require training and experience in both general management and the specific engineering disciplines that will be used by the engineering team to be managed. The successful engineering manager must have the skills necessary to coach, mentor and motivate technical professionals; skills which are often very different from those required the effectively manage individuals in other fields.
Major Subjects under Engineering Management
- Marketing with application to Technology
- Intellectual Property, Business Law and Entrepreneurship
- Finance in High-Tech Industries
- Corporate Finance
- Operations Management
- Statistical and Optimization Methods
- Finance & Managerial Accounts
Duration of Masters in Engineering Management in the US
A full time MEM program in any reputed university takes close to 12 to 15 months to finish. The period may include compulsory internships or projects. In general, the duration remains in the above mentioned range in most of the universities.
Top US Universities for MS in Engineering Management
Masters in Engineering Management, often referred to as MEM, is offered by a large number of US Universities. The list of some top US Universities offering the said program is listed below:
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- University of California-Berkeley
- University of Michigan
- Purdue University
- Northwestern University
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Virginia Tech
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Southern California
- Texas A&M University (TAMU)
- Ohio State University
- Auburn University
- University of Iowa
- Northeastern University
- Lehigh University
- Arizona State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- North Carolina State University
- State Univ Of New York-Buffalo
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Oklahoma State University
- University of Oklahoma
- Kansas State University
- Wayne State University
- Iowa State University
- UMASS Amherst
- University of Florida
What is Master of engineering management programs consortium?
The master of engineering management(MEM) consortium is a highly selective and elite group of professional graduate programs to provide the right programs for the right candidate.
MEMPC members work as a consortium to provide guidance to high potential students to enlighten their right blend of technical and management to improve them and make them capable to lead companies of the generation ‘Z’.
The list of MEMPC members are:
- Cornell University
- Dartmouth College
- Duke University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Northernwestern University
- Purdue University
- TUFTS University
- University of Southern California
Who should study Engineering Management?
If you have a passion for business and management after being a graduate of science or engineering, then engineering management is right for you. Engineering management will help you develop skills in business, technology management, and entrepreneurship.
If you are interested in technology leadership or a career in industrial management, high technology management, R&D management or technology entrepreneurship in a start-up company, then engineering management is best fit for you.
Many students, after studying engineering, realize that their passion lies in managing rather than working on the technical aspects for eg. coding. Engineering management combines a core management and business curriculum with technical education, allowing you to transit into developing a career in management even after studying engineering.
Advantages of studying Engineering Management in USA
- Engineering management does offer a great level of job security
- The salaries of good engineering management graduates in the US is high as compared to many other popular study destinations. According to a U.S. News and World Report article, engineering managers can expect to make a median salary of anywhere from $76,000 to $131,000 annually, depending on the field of engineering.
- Engineering management allows you the shift from core engineering work opportunities to management area and move up in the corporate world
- Financial engineering offers diverse job opportunities
- Most Engineering Management degrees are STEM designated courses allowing international students to work in the US for upto 3 years
Careers after Engineering Management in USA
Graduates of Financial Engineering are one of the highest paid graduates and can look to develop their careers as:
- Automation engineer
- Chemical process engineer
- Client services analyst
- Construction project engineer
- Design engineer
- Director of hardware engineering
- Economics consultant
- Firmware engineer
- IT manager
- Job cost engineer
- Material logistics professional
- Plant manager
- Processing engineering manager
- Product engineer
- Senior chemical, electrical, mechanical, or systems engineer
- Structural engineer
- Technical consultant
- Technology licensing specialist
STEM Degree – Engineering Management in USA
MS in Financial Engineering at most US Universities is a STEM degree. This means, you can thus work in the US for upto three years. Learn more about STEM Courses in the US
Study MS in US
As one of the leading US Education Counsellors in Mumbai, our US education experts will be happy to help you with your plans to study Masters in USA.
Our counseling is comprehensive and included everything that you need:
- Profile development
- Shortlisting of US Universities (after suggesting the right program for your future)
- Building / crafting a perfect resume
- Essay / SOP editing (most of our students will say that we are brilliant at this!)
- Application guidance
- Scholarship applications
- Visa guidance
- Networking with other students
Contact us to book your consultation today to help you materialize your plans to study MS in USA!
You may also be interested in:
Contact Us to Apply for Masters in Engineering Management USA
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in USA
It had a wonderful experience getting support from ILW. I was confused on what to do after my 12th but I came across Vishal sir who helped me with good suggestions. I had a great experience with my counselor (Rupali) throughout the whole process. There are quite helpful and know what they are doing. I would recommend my friends too. Thank you 😊
I would thanks ILW for all their efforts and hard work for getting my admission and visa done for USA, and I am grateful to them to successfully getting me admitted to one of the best University In USA. They are good with visas and the kind of confidence they gave me and supported me with the entire process.
I have used ILW Education team’s help for about 2 years. They were really confident in helping me get an admission at New York University. It was my dream school. They guided me with the course and career choice. I knew them through my brother who also went abroad to study through them. They are really good education counsellors and I recommend ILW Education Consultants to all who wish to study at top universities
These guys are top counsellors. My brother had gone to them and he did well. I applied to 3 countries and had a lot of dilemma. I finally accepted joining UCLA. I recommend them for anyone who wishes to study in USA, UK or other countries. Go to them for one counselling session atleast and you will have most of doubts solved. They will help you plan the career in the best way. Thanks ILW!
I learned about ILW since many of my extended family members were using their service. I must say that I have never met the team and everything was done online over emails, phone, chat. Distance between Gujarat and Mumbai was never a problem. The team was prompt in replying. They are best education consultants for USA. I was applying for both Masters and PhD, and I secured full funding.
The way they had shortlisted the universities was brilliant. Right from essay editing to help with interview prep, it was a superb experience. Thanks to the team at ILW Education that I am studying in the US.
Highly recommended (5 stars!!)
UT Austin was my dream school and I got through it. I came to know about ILW at School as many students at JNS were using their counselling. They are very personal in their approach. The team at ILW made it all possible. Exceptional help with essays. A special thanks to Vishal Sir and Neha Mam. At the time of writing this testimonial, I am still in touch with them for queries while studying here. I am enjoying my undergrad studies in the US.