Masters in Finance Engineering in the USA
What is Financial Engineering?
Financial engineering is the application of mathematical methods to the solution of problems in finance. Financial engineering draws on tools from applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, and economic theory. Investment banks, commercial banks, hedge funds, insurance companies, corporate treasuries, and regulatory agencies employ financial engineers. These businesses apply the methods of financial engineering to such problems as new product development, derivative securities valuation, portfolio structuring, risk management, and scenario simulation. Quantitative analysis has brought innovation, efficiency and rigor to financial markets and to the investment process. As the pace of financial innovation accelerates, the need for highly qualified people with specific training in financial engineering continues to grow in all market environments.
Financial Engineers use their skills to predict how stocks and other financial tools will perform, to manage portfolios and to assess the risk of investments. They use math and computer science to build models of trends in the stock market.
For more information, read about financial engineering on Investopedia.
Financial engineering is also known as financial mathematics, mathematical finance, and computational finance.
Major Subjects under Financial Engineering
- Stochastic Models for Financial Engineering
- Statistical Tools for Financial Engineering
- Foundations of Financial Engineering
- Financial Markets
- Institutions and Risk
- Optimization Models and Methods for Financial Engineering
- Financial Engineering: Continuous Time Models, Data Analysis for Financial Engineering
Top US Universities for MS in Financial Engineering
- Claremont Graduate University
- Stanford University
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor (UMich)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (GaTech)
- Purdue University, West Lafayette Indiana
- University of California Berkeley (UCB)
- Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Boston University
- Columbia University in the city of New York
- Arizona State University (ASU) Tempe
- Northwestern University
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (Virginia Tech)
- Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)
- Texas A&M University (TAMU)
- University of Maryland College Park (UMCP)
- Ohio State University (OSU), Ohio
- University of Southern California (USC)
- Baruch (CUNY)
- New York University (NYU)
- Johns Hopkins University
- Baruch College
- Georgia State University
- University of Chicago
Some US Universities above will offer computational finance, financial mathematics, quantitative finance and risk analytics, mathematical finance, analytical finance, applied financial mathematics. You must check the program content. Most of these programs will be similar to the programs titled as financial engineering.
Who should study Financial Engineering?
If you have a passion for mathematics, programming and finance, financial engineering is the program you should study. Financial engineering will give you the means to analyze, evaluate and develop tools for dealing with today’s financial challenges.
Advantages of studying Financial Engineering in USA
- Financial engineering does offer a great level of job security
- The salaries of financial engineering graduates in the US is unusually high
- Financial engineering offers diverse job opportunities for example in
- Risk Management
- Money Management
- Derivative Pricing
- Private Equity
- Hedge Funds
- Data Analytics
- Technical Operational Areas of Corporate Finance
- Most Financial Engineering degrees are STEM designated courses allowing international students to work in the US for upto 3 years
Careers after Financial Engineering in USA
Graduates of Financial Engineering are one of the highest paid graduates and can look to develop their careers as:
- Account manager
- Commodities adviser
- Development adviser
- Fixed income analyst
- Risk management analyst
- Corporate Finance Adviser
- Portfolio Manager
- Credit Risk Manager
- Financial Regulator
- Derivatives Analyst
STEM Degree – Financial Engineering in USA
MS in Financial Engineering at most US Universities is a STEM degree. This means, you can thus work in the US for upto three years. Learn more about STEM Courses in the US
Study MS in US
As one of the leading US Education Counsellors in Mumbai, our US education experts will be happy to help you with your plans to study Masters in USA.
Our counseling is comprehensive and included everything that you need:
- Profile development
- Shortlisting of US Universities (after suggesting the right program for your future)
- Building / crafting a perfect resume
- Essay / SOP editing (most of our students will say that we are brilliant at this!)
- Application guidance
- Scholarship applications
- Visa guidance
- Networking with other students
Contact us to book your consultation today to help you materialize your plans to study MS in USA!
You may also be interested in:
Contact Us to Apply for Masters in Financial Engineering in USA
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in USA
It had a wonderful experience getting support from ILW. I was confused on what to do after my 12th but I came across Vishal sir who helped me with good suggestions. I had a great experience with my counselor (Rupali) throughout the whole process. There are quite helpful and know what they are doing. I would recommend my friends too. Thank you 😊
I would thanks ILW for all their efforts and hard work for getting my admission and visa done for USA, and I am grateful to them to successfully getting me admitted to one of the best University In USA. They are good with visas and the kind of confidence they gave me and supported me with the entire process.
I have used ILW Education team’s help for about 2 years. They were really confident in helping me get an admission at New York University. It was my dream school. They guided me with the course and career choice. I knew them through my brother who also went abroad to study through them. They are really good education counsellors and I recommend ILW Education Consultants to all who wish to study at top universities
These guys are top counsellors. My brother had gone to them and he did well. I applied to 3 countries and had a lot of dilemma. I finally accepted joining UCLA. I recommend them for anyone who wishes to study in USA, UK or other countries. Go to them for one counselling session atleast and you will have most of doubts solved. They will help you plan the career in the best way. Thanks ILW!
I learned about ILW since many of my extended family members were using their service. I must say that I have never met the team and everything was done online over emails, phone, chat. Distance between Gujarat and Mumbai was never a problem. The team was prompt in replying. They are best education consultants for USA. I was applying for both Masters and PhD, and I secured full funding.
The way they had shortlisted the universities was brilliant. Right from essay editing to help with interview prep, it was a superb experience. Thanks to the team at ILW Education that I am studying in the US.
Highly recommended (5 stars!!)
UT Austin was my dream school and I got through it. I came to know about ILW at School as many students at JNS were using their counselling. They are very personal in their approach. The team at ILW made it all possible. Exceptional help with essays. A special thanks to Vishal Sir and Neha Mam. At the time of writing this testimonial, I am still in touch with them for queries while studying here. I am enjoying my undergrad studies in the US.