Masters in Computer Science in Canada
Computer science graduates are one of the most sought after in Canada. The tech industry in Canada is growing. IT professionals and software engineers have turned out to be among the top 10 most in-demand occupations in Canada in 2018. With the growth of artificial intelligence, machine learning, the demand is only rising.
Benefits of studying MS in Computer Science in Canada
- Top Universities: Canadian universities have high academic standards, and many of them such as the University of Toronto, UBC feature in the world top 100 university rankings. High academic standards help the students to gain high-quality education, which will benefit their careers, not only in Canada, but in their home country too.
- Lower tuition costs: The tuition costs in Canada are much more economical compared to the US, making Canada an attractive destination in terms of return on investment.
- Part time work while you study: Students in Canada are allowed to work for 20 hours a week, which helps them to better manage their finances.
- Post-graduate work permit: Students can obtain upto 3 years work permit on completion of the study program.
- Easier Settlement / PR: Permanent Residency (PR) is easier in Canada than most other destinations. If you study in Canada for 2 years, you get a 3 years work permit and can then apply for a PR.
- High-quality of life: Canada is one of the safest countries in the world. The quality of life is also something that attracts a lot of international students as Canada is ranked as one of the best countries to live.
Major Subjects under Computer Science
Advanced Object Oriented Programming, Robotics, Electromagnetic Waves, Advanced level of Cryptography, Computational Photography, Computer Graphics and Data Mining, Programming Language Theory, Parallel Computer Architecture and Programming, Design and Analysis of Algorithm, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Networking and Database Management.
Specializations in Computer Science
Some extremely popular specializations in Computer Science these days has been:
- Data Science and Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence (Intelligent Systems)
- Machine Learning
- Future Networks
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Cloud Computing
There are more specializations that students can opt for. US also offers extremely specialized full time Masters programs in Data Science, Cloud Computing and more, which students can directly plan to study if they are certain of the future career interest.
Top Universities in Canada for MS in Computer Science
Top Universities in Canada for Computer Science Masters include:
- University of Toronto (Program Link)
- University of British Columbia (Program Link)
- University of Waterloo (Program Link)
- University of Alberta (Program Link)
- McGill University (Program Link)
- University of Montreal
- Carleton University
- University of Ottawa
- Simon Fraser University
- Concordia University
- Queens University
- McMaster University
- University of Calgary
Salary after Masters in Computer Science in Canada
Average salary in 2019, according to Randstad data for computer science graduates is between just under $85,000 and over $101,000 annually.
The salaries for developers and researchers working on the blockchain technology, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and data science is usually over $100,000.
We will support you with:
Selection of Universities (based on your academic and work profile)
Applications and Essay / SOP Editing
Admission and Visa Guidance
Arrange your free consultation today! Or simply, message +91 70505 12345 and we will contact you.
Eligibility for MS in Computer Science in Canada
Typical entry requirement to study Masters in Computer Science in Canada is:
- Bachelors degree (4 years) preferably in the discipline of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information technology or Software Engineering
- Most Universities would want at least a 60% in Bachelors degree. With a CGPA of 6.5 on 10 or higher, you can apply for Masters in Canada. Some top Universities like the University of Toronto, UBC, and such may generally look at 70% or CGPA of 7.5 on 10.
- IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in all modules (Canada also accepts TOEFL and PTE score)
- Work experience is needed by some Canadian Universities
Jobs after Masters in Computer Science in Canada
Graduates of Computer Science are one of the highest paid graduates and can look to develop their careers as:
- Software Developer
- Software Test Engineer (STE)
- Senior Software Engineer
- Software Development Manager
- Software Architect
- Programmer Analyst
- Systems Developer
- Web Developer
- Software Development Engineer, Test (SDET)
- Application Support Analyst
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator (DBA)
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Engineer (IT)
- Systems Analyst
- Network Administrator, IT
- Network Engineer, IT
- Business Analyst, IT
- Program Manager, IT
- Information Technology Specialist
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
Common Asked Questions about studying MS in Computer Science in Canada
1. Is GRE required for studying MS in Computer Science in Canada?
No GRE is not required by Canadian Universities to study MS in Computer Science. If you have a good GRE score though, you should report it.
2. Can I study MS in Computer Science in Canada if I have BSc IT?
No. Universities in Canada require 16 years of education to study Masters in Computer Science. Thus, applicants who have a Bachelors in Engineering degree can apply.
If you have a BSc IT, which is a 3 year degree, you can study Graduate Diploma in Computer Science in Canada. Thereafter, you may wish to continue to study your Masters in CS in Canada.
3. Is work experience compulsory to study Masters in Computer Science in Canada?
No. Work experience is not required to apply for a Masters in Computer Science in Canada. If you do have relevant work experience though, it may help in admissions. In such a case, ensure that you submit a recommendation letter from your employer who can speak about your skills.
Study in Canada
As one of the best education consultants for Canada, our experience Canada education counsellors can support you with the right selection of Universities, applications, essay editing, visa guidance, much more. Arrange your free consultation today!
Contact Us to Apply for Masters in Computer Science in Canada
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in Canada
Thank you ILW for the wonderful start to the UOT in Canada for my Bachelors in Life Sciences.
I would like to give a big THUMBS UP to Vishal and Rupali. It has been a great experience working with Vishal and his team. They are very patient and always just a call or a whats app away. Rupali has always been very helpful and stays calm and composed no matter how much I panicked. They are always there to help you but you have to take an initiative as well and liaison continuously. I did not have to go to the office again once I paid the fees. Vishal has always been transparent and upfront and always pushed me to do my best. I would highly recommend ILW. These people know what they are doing! I genuinely thank you 🙂 from the bottom of my heart Vishal and RUPALI!!
First of all hats off to Hafeezan Ma’am for making me feel this difficult application process like a piece of cake. She answered all my doubts with such ease and patience which is a remarkable thing. Moreover ILW made my dream come true. Also a big thank you to Vishal Sir for his support and help. Finally I will cherish this endeavour forever in my life. Thank you to the entire team of ILW.
The most important part was that I had applied by myself to Canada before taking the service of ILW Education Consultants. I did not get any offers but after I used their help, here I am at the No. 1 University in Canada. Its a dream!