Masters of Science in Robotics in USA
What is Robotics?
Robotics is the conceptualization, design, construction, operation, and use of robots and the computer systems that control them. Robotics is interdisciplinary; with roots in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and computer science and stretches into areas like design and psychology. The main goal of creating robots is to develop machines that can substitute for human activity. However, while robots will automate tasks, they will not automate complete jobs.
These three core elements work together seamlessly for the robot to function:
– The mechanical construction – a body
– Electrical components to power and control – a nervous system
– Computer programming code to instruct the robot what to do- a brain
Currently, the high cost of building robots limits applications for situations dangerous to humans, like bomb deactivation, or in manufacturing with a quick ROI.
Sub Disciplines/Technical Areas for MS in Robotics in USA
The main sub disciplines or technical areas – sensing, reasoning, and acting. As functioning robots are produced, these areas converge. Robotic Sensing of the environment uses external agents and internal body information to determine state information and includes the topics of computer vision and signal processing. Robotic Reasoning uses the information to make decisions for guidance, control, and localization and includes machine learning, planning, multi-agent coordination, and artificial intelligence. Robotic Acting enables a robot to locomote or interacts with the environment by producing motion or other outputs and includes control, kinematics, dynamics, mechanical, bio-mechanical systems design, manipulation, real-time systems.
Current Research Areas in MS program in Robotics in USA
Medical Robotics, Surgical and Bio-robotics, Cognitive Robotics, Social Robotics, Bio-Inspired Robotics, Miniature Robotics, Robotics for Extreme Environments, Unmanned Vehicle, and Collaborative, Cooperative, Networked Robotics.
Robotics research areas include Manipulation and grasping, Interactive or Human-in-the-Loop robotics, Dynamic simulators and Virtual environments; Perception and modeling.
Who should become a Roboticist?
A roboticist is a person that conceptualizes, designs, builds, programs, and experiments with robots, requiring skill in designing, analyzing, evaluating, and performing research.
Major Subjects in an MS in Robotics in USA
Algorithms and Theory
Natural Language Processing
Robotics and Human-Robot Interaction
Signal Processing and Random Processes
Autonomous Mobile Robots
Multivariable Control Theory
Applied Dynamical Systems
Universities in USA offering Masters in Robotics in USA
California State Polytechnic University in Pomona
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
University of Pennsylvania (UPenn)
Georgia Institute of Tech (GeorgiaTech)
University of California at Santa Barbara
University of California at Santa Cruz
University of South Carolina (USC)
Carnegie Mellon University
University of Washington at Seattle
University of Mass at Amherst
Johns Hopkins University
Ohio State University
University of Texas at Austin
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
North Carolina State University (NCSU)
Texas A & M University
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Arizona State University
University of California Berkley
University Colorado- Boulder
University of Cincinnati
University of Utah
Florida A & M University
University of Minnesota
Oregon State University
Portland State University
Is Robotics a dedicated department or MS in US universities?
While there are many institutions researching robotics in their departments of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science, few universities have a comprehensive, dedicated Robotics Departments. A focused knowledge relevant to the fields of specialization is gained through advanced elective courses. Listed below are details of the Masters degree by leading universities:
- Cal Poly Pomona offers a Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) with a Control and Robotics Systems option through the Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) department.
- Cornell University offers a one year Master of Engineering in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering with a specialization focus on Dynamics, Controls, & Robotics.
- The MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering offers a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (SMME).
- Michigan Robotics, housed in the College of Engineering, brings together roboticists from the mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science disciplines less than one department.
- University of Pennsylvania offers a Master’s Degree in Robotics (ROBO) through the School of Engineering and Applied Science. The program is sponsored jointly by 3 departments – Electrical and Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, and Computer and Information Science.
- Master’s of Science in Computer Science at Georgia Tech offers specialization in Computational Perception and Robotics through elective courses.
- UC Santa Barbara offers a Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (MS ECE) with a research focus in Communications, Control & Signal Processing (CCSP).
- Columbia University offers a Master of Science in Computer Science (MS CS) with a Vision, Graphics, Interaction, and Robotics Track.
- Duke University offers a Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, with a concentration in Robotics.
- Carnegie Mellon offers a Master of Science in Robotics (MSR) degree through the Robotics Institute.
- University of Wisconsin at Madison offers Masters in Science in Manufacturing Systems Engineering (MS MSE).
- Electrical Engineering Department and the University of Washington (UW) offers a Masters in Science in Electrical Engineering: Systems, Controls, & Robotics (Robotics Option).
- Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering offers a Master of Science in Engineering in Robotics (Robotics MSE) with a specialization in Medical Robotics and Computer-Integrated Surgical System.
- Stanford University offers many research-oriented advanced degree programs including the Masters of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering Research.
- Ohio State offers a Masters of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (MS ECE) with a concentration in Robotics.
- University of Texas started a Graduate Portfolio Program in Robotics that enables graduate students in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering the opportunity to obtain an official “certification of expertise” in robotics along with a Master’s degree from their home department.
- North Carolina State University has a Masters in Science Electrical Engineering degree program, with a specialization in Robotics, Mechatronics, Control, and Instrumentation. This course of study is perfect for those wanting to go into the complex fields of robotics.
- Arizona State University offers a Masters in Engineering with a focus on Robotics.
- Northwestern University’s McCormick School of Engineering is their Masters of Science in Robotics (MSR) program.This program can be completed in one year, and is an interdepartmental endeavor, geared towards preparing engineers to engage with the groundbreaking fields of robotics.
- UC Berkley offers a Master’s of Engineering and Computer Science with a concentration in Robotics and Embedded Software.
- University of Colorado at Boulder offers a Masters of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on Robotics and Systems Design.
- University of Utah offers a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, with a Robotics Track.
- Oregon State’s College of Engineering, Collaborative Robotics and Intelligent Systems (CoRIS) Institute offers two Masters Degrees in Robotics, a Master of Science and a Master’s of Engineering.
Master’s in Robotics Specializations in USA
Many programs also offer specializations that could include artificial intelligence, perception, robot design, and control systems.
In an artificial intelligence concentration, students complete additional course work such as artificial intelligence fundamentals, advanced machine learning, advanced topics in artificial intelligence. Perception concentrations likely include courses such as computer vision, computational photography, and advanced concepts in machine perception. Control systems concentrations include courses in linear systems, real time systems, embedded systems, and advanced control systems. Students completing a robot design concentration will most likely complete courses in computer animation, computer graphics, and mechatronic systems design.
Prerequisites and Skills required for MS in Robotics in USA
An applicant for a Masters in Robotics in USA should have an undergraduate degree in one of Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science.
Other skills required are proficiency in Mathematics, Design and Technology, Computing and Programming.
Programming languages like C/C++, Python and extracurricular engineering electives like machine shop and manufacturing classes.
Essential soft skills include systems Thinking, a Programming Mindset, Active Learning, Decision Making, Good Communication.
Career growth for Masters in Robotics
Roboticist is not yet a job description in the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but it is expected that between 2016 and 2026, Mechanical Engineers occupation will grow 9%, Electrical Engineers occupation to grow 7%, and Software Developers to grow at 24%.
A Robotics Engineer can earn salaries between US$64000 to US$90000 based on experience and education levels. If the rate of machines being added to factories remains consistent, then the number of skilled technicians needed to program, operate, and maintain those robots will also increase.
STEM Degree – Master’s in Robotics
Masters in Robotics at most US Universities is a STEM degree. This means, you can thus work in the US for upto three years after studying MS in Robotics. Learn more about STEM Courses in the US
Study MS in US
As one of the leading US Education Counsellors in Mumbai, our US education experts will be happy to help you with your plans to study Masters in USA.
Our counseling is comprehensive and included everything that you need:
- Profile development
- Shortlisting of US Universities (after suggesting the right program for your future)
- Building / crafting a perfect resume
- Essay / SOP editing (most of our students will say that we are brilliant at this!)
- Application guidance
- Scholarship applications
- Visa guidance
- Networking with other students
Contact us to book your consultation today to help you materialize your plans to study MS in USA!
Contact Us to Apply for Masters of Science in Robotics
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in USA
I learned about ILW since many of my extended family members were using their service. I must say that I have never met the team and everything was done online over emails, phone, chat. Distance between Gujarat and Mumbai was never a problem. The team was prompt in replying. They are best education consultants for USA. I was applying for both Masters and PhD, and I secured full funding.
The way they had shortlisted the universities was brilliant. Right from essay editing to help with interview prep, it was a superb experience. Thanks to the team at ILW Education that I am studying in the US.
Highly recommended (5 stars!!)
It had a wonderful experience getting support from ILW. I was confused on what to do after my 12th but I came across Vishal sir who helped me with good suggestions. I had a great experience with my counselor (Rupali) throughout the whole process. There are quite helpful and know what they are doing. I would recommend my friends too. Thank you 😊
I would thanks ILW for all their efforts and hard work for getting my admission and visa done for USA, and I am grateful to them to successfully getting me admitted to one of the best University In USA. They are good with visas and the kind of confidence they gave me and supported me with the entire process.
I have used ILW Education team’s help for about 2 years. They were really confident in helping me get an admission at New York University. It was my dream school. They guided me with the course and career choice. I knew them through my brother who also went abroad to study through them. They are really good education counsellors and I recommend ILW Education Consultants to all who wish to study at top universities
These guys are top counsellors. My brother had gone to them and he did well. I applied to 3 countries and had a lot of dilemma. I finally accepted joining UCLA. I recommend them for anyone who wishes to study in USA, UK or other countries. Go to them for one counselling session atleast and you will have most of doubts solved. They will help you plan the career in the best way. Thanks ILW!
UT Austin was my dream school and I got through it. I came to know about ILW at School as many students at JNS were using their counselling. They are very personal in their approach. The team at ILW made it all possible. Exceptional help with essays. A special thanks to Vishal Sir and Neha Mam. At the time of writing this testimonial, I am still in touch with them for queries while studying here. I am enjoying my undergrad studies in the US.