A Student Visa is a permit that allows an eligible non-citizen to enter and stay in Mauritius to study full-time or part-time in a tertiary educational institution registered with the Tertiary Education Commission, or in a Technical and Vocational Educational and Training (TVET) institution registered with the Mauritius Qualifications Authority, or to follow a practical training course which forms part of higher studies.
A non-citizen wishing to study in Mauritius should in the first instance secure a seat in a tertiary educational institution or TVET institution registered respectively with Tertiary Education Commission or the Mauritius Qualification Authority, here in after referred to as recognized tertiary educational institution or TVET institution.
The following categories of persons are eligible for Student Visa:
A non-citizen enrolled on one or more programs in a recognised tertiary educational institution or TVET institution to follow on a full-time basis specific modules for one semester or two, a course leading to a certificate or diploma for a duration of a least one academic year.
- A non-citizen enrolled in a recognised tertiary educational institution to follow full-time or part-time degree course at under-graduate level.
- A non-citizen enrolled in a recognised tertiary educational institution to follow full-time or part-time course at postgraduate levels (including Masters, MPhil or Doctoral level).
- A non-citizen carrying out post Doctoral research.
- A non-citizen coming to Mauritius on an exchange program not exceeding one year with a recognised tertiary educational institution.
Application for Student Visa
Application for Student Visa should be made to the Passport and Immigration Office by the respective tertiary educational institution or TVET institution where the student is enrolled Application for visa to follow practical training course which forms part of higher studies should be made directly to the Passport and Immigration Office by the trainee or by the receiving institution/enterprise in Mauritius.
Documents to be submitted for Student Visa:
- Form “Application to “Enter Mauritius” duly filled in and signed by the applicant;
- Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant
- Photocopy of the bio-data pages of the passport of the applicant
- Original letter of admission in a recognized educational establishment or TVET institution
- Details of duration of the course and confirmation from the Tertiary Education Commission or Mauritius Qualifications Authority that the chosen course is a full time or part time.
- Documentary evidence of availability of funds or financial capacity to meet costs of study and stay in Mauritius.
- A medical certificate certifying that the applicant is not suffering from any contagious or infectious disease. A test for HIV, Hepatitis B and a chest X ray should be done at any private medical laboratory/clinic/hospital in Mauritius and the tests results and Chest X ray report should be submitted to the Passport and Immigration Office not later than one month after arrival.
Eligibility for Residence Permit to undergo practical training, industrial placement (“Stage”) or internship in respect of foreigners
- A non-citizen intending to undergo practical training or industrial placement (“stage”) or internship with a view to enhancing his/her skills and experience should produce to the Passport and Immigration Office evidence of acceptance from relevant institution/enterprise in Mauritius.
- He / She should be holder of a degree.
- He/she should not be remunerated in Mauritius.
Application for Residence Permit to undergo practical training or industrial placement in respect of foreigners
- Form “Application to Enter Mauritius” duly filled in and signed by the applicant.
- Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant.
- Photocopy of the bio-data pages of his/her passport.
- Documentary evidence of acceptance/admission to follow practical training course or undergo industrial placement or internship within well known and reputed local firms/companies in sectors such as textile, banking, hotel, consulting firms, professional bodies, etc. as part of the requirements of a course of study in an educational abroad or as required by Head Office of a company based abroad.
- Details of duration of the practical training/industrial placement/internship and confirmation by the accepting local firm/company that the placement/training is a full-time one. The period of training /placement/internship should be for maximum duration of six (6) months.
- Documentary evidence from the foreign educational or training establishment or enterprise to the effect that the training to be followed in Mauritius forms part of a course of study being followed by the applicants or is a requirement to enhance the skills and experience of the trainee. A tripartite agreement involving the trainee, the educational institution or enterprise abroad, and the receiving organization in Mauritius should be submitted. Documentary evidence of availability of funds or financial capacity to meet the costs of traineeship and stay in Mauritius.
- A medical certificate certifying that the applicant is not suffering from any contagious or infectious disease.
Approval and Issue of Residence Permit to Prospective Trainees
- An application for Permit for Trainee is determined by the Passport and Immigration Office within 2 weeks of its date of submission, subject to it being complete and accompanied by appropriate supporting documents. Any application without all necessary documents will not be entertained.
- The Passport and Immigration Office notifies the outcome of the application to the receiving local organization /company/enterprise where the trainee intends follow practical training course or the trainee abroad as appropriate.
- The Passport and Immigration Office then issues permission for provisional entry valid for one month to the trainee to enable him to travel to Mauritius.
- Within two weeks of arrival in Mauritius, the trainee should report to the Passport and Immigration Office, Residence Permit Section, 8th Floor, Sterling House, 9-11 Lislet Geoffroy Street, Port Louis to obtain Residence Permit (Trainee) for a maximum period six months.
Conditions applicable for grant of Residence Permit (Trainee)
- The trainee who has been granted a Residence Permit is not allowed to draw a salary or wages in Mauritius. However, the receiving organization in Mauritius may grant the trainee a stipend.
- He / She is exempted from the requirement of a Work Permit.
Cancellation of Student Visa Or Residence Permit
The Student Visa or Residence Permit for practical training/industrial placement may be cancelled if the holder no longer satisfies the criteria and conditions of the Visa or Permit or has acted in contravention to any laws of Mauritius or has given any false or misleading information at the time of application.
Mauritius Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in Mauritius, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in Mauritius hassle-free.
We are experts at what we do.We started in 2002 and have helped 1000s of students (personally) since then. The collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We are extremely personal. Students ask us 1000s of questions and we enjoy replying to these. You will have one dedicated team member who you will be able to contact throughout the service. We don’t count the number of hours spent on you. We don’t shed away responsibilities. We work on your side and have just one thing in mind—to get you your best in your career
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide