As an Indian student, you can study in USA after 12th.
Some quick notes to clear your most common queries about undergraduate studies in the USA:
- Duration of Bachelors in USA: Bachelors in USA is of 4 years duration in general. Some programs like Architecture, Medicine, Pharmacy, Law, Nursing can go over 5 years since State licensure is involved
- Intakes: Nearly all Bachelors programs in USA begin in Fall (August). The other intake is Spring (January) but it’s a smaller intake
- Cost of Studying Bachelors in US: Course fee for Bachelors in USA ranges between $15000 to $60000 per year (typically ranging from Rs. 9 lacs to Rs 35 lacs). Note: Higher fee does not determine the quality of the MS program. The fees at US State Universities are generally lower than the fees at Private US Universities
- SAT / ACT: Most Bachelors programs in USA require SAT test or ACT test score. It is best to start preparing for SAT or ACT when a student is in class 11 (or year 1 of IBDP) or during the holidays after class 11. The validity of SAT and ACT is 4 years. These tests are held 4 times in a year. Students often prepare for 3 to 4 months for SAT or ACT. Learn more about SAT I or ACT here
- SAT II: Many colleges use the SAT Subject Tests for admission, for course placement, and to advise students about course selection. Some colleges specify the SAT Subject Tests that they require for admission or placement; others allow applicants to choose which tests to take. There are 20 SAT Subject Tests in five general subject areas: English, history, languages, mathematics and science. We generally recommend that students who may score over 2000 in SAT 1 may also want to appear for at least two SAT 2 subject tests
- English Language Requirement: Either IELTS test or TOEFL test is compulsory for all examination boards except students who are doing IBDP, where many US Universities waive the English language requirement. The test could be done within one month from the date you decide to take the test ie. preparing for the test, registering for the test, to appearing for it. If you need to register for the test or need help or coaching for IELTS or TOEFL, you could contact us at +91 9820864001
- Time to Apply for Bachelors in US: Best time to apply for Bachelors in US is October and November in the year prior to the year you are joining for the forthcoming Fall (Aug) start. Applications are done through Common Application (about 500 Universities), UC Application (all University campuses under University of California like UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, etc.), U Texas Apply (Universities in Texas), many Universities have DIRECT applications too (eg. University of Wisconsin Madison, Indiana University Bloomington, etc.)
- US Scholarships: US Universities are known to be the most generous with scholarships. Many Universities do not have a separate scholarship application. Students are considered for scholarship based on their complete application. Some Universities have different scholarship applications that require students to fill out a separate application, write essay (s) and more
- Financial Aid: US Universities also offer financial aid to students if your circumstances do not allow you spend on your higher education. Universities may ask for your family’s financial status
- Work During Study: Students can work up to 20 hours per week during the Bachelors course and full-time (40 hours per week) during holidays
- Work After Study: You could stay back for 12 months on the Optional Practical Training (OPT) period after your Bachelors in US. Post one year, you need a job offer in hand to stay back and an application for H1B has to be made (based on the job offer)
- Academic Grades: You will need to submit the grades from 9th grade to 12th grade (term 1). Also remember that your predicted grades are based on your previous performance. Thus, all years of study are important!
- Essays: US Universities either ask you write Topical Essays or otherwise require a Statement of Purpose (SOP). Strong essays will set you apart from other candidates. You’ll have to write 2-3 essays per application. It’s important to be creative in order to stand out from the crowd
- Recommendation and School Reports: You will need to designate 2 to 3 school teachers as referees. The guidance counselor at your school has to submit your school profile, transcripts, predicted grades and performance evaluation. This cannot be the same person as your referee! However, if you don’t have a school counselor, we can help you with the application anyway
- Factors to consider while selecting Universities: Choice of Major and Minor, University Ranking, Cost, Availability of financial aid and scholarships, SAT or ACT requirement, location, class size, research facilities, international student population, placement options, Deadlines
- Types of Application Deadline:You have 3 application deadlines as part of the Common Application or most other application systems: Early Decision (ED), Early Action (EA), and Regular Decision (RD). Some Universities also have Rolling Admissions (RA). You can understand the differences between these below
Deadlines: Early Decision | Early Action | Regular Decision
Early Admissions: To make it simple, early admissions mean that you can apply to programs of US Universities earlier than their last application deadline. This way you get a quicker decision from the University and can know whether it’s an admit or a reject. Early admissions can be divided in to: Early Decision and Early Action
What is EARLY DECISION when applying for undergraduate studies in the USA?
Some US Colleges offer an early decision program. It indicates that you most interest in securing an admit from that particular College. Early decision is binding meaning that you have to accept the admission at that University or College if you get an admit. Early decision deadlines are generally in October and the University will generally inform you of the decision within a month.
Quick notes on Early Decision:
- You can only apply to ONE early decision college. This means you should select your best choice only while taking the Early Decision option
- If you are accepted by the college you must go to that college. Hence early decision plan is referred to as “binding”
- Some US Universities even have two early deadlines, called Early Decision Deadline I and Early Decision Deadline II. They both work the same way, but the second deadline gives you more time to decide whether to apply early
- While using Early Decision plan in one College allows you to apply as many other US Colleges through regular decision, you must however withdraw all other applications if you are accepted by this college (where you have used the Early Decision plan)
- Early Decision deadline is generally in October and if there is more than one early decision provided by the same College, then it is generally in November
What is EARLY ACTION when applying for undergraduate studies in the USA?
Early Action as a type of early admission process allows you to apply earlier than the last application deadline. Many US Colleges offer Early Action plans thus enabling you to get a decision from the University within one month of your application ie. generally by December you should receive the decision. Early Action is ‘non-binding’ which is the major difference between Early Decision and Early Action. This means you can apply to as many US Colleges that offer you an Early Action plan. You can accept or decline the offer once you receive a decision
Quick Notes on Early Action:
- Early Action deadline is generally in November and the decision to your application generally comes out in December
- You can apply to more than one Early Action college
- Early Action plan is non-binding. If you are accepted by a College, you can say accept the offer right away or wait until January to accept or decline
- Not all Colleges offers an Early Action plan
- Early Action is a very good opportunity for students whose academic record is consistently high and who do not wish to wait for their mid-term results to show an improvement in the academic profile
What is REGULAR DECISION when applying for undergraduate studies in the USA?
Regular decision is your last deadline to apply to your choice of Universities. Commission Application deadline (regular decision) is 1st January. UC Application deadline is 30th November. The admission decision under regular decision may go up to April
Be Resourceful: You can study an Associate Degree (i.e. the first 2 years of your undergraduate course) at a Community College in USA at a very affordable cost of $13000 approximately per year, and then transfer to some of the topmost Institutions for the remaining 2 years. This effectively ensures that you not only save large sums of money but you also get one of the best degrees in the world! Some such well known colleges are: Coastline Community College, Glendale Community College (California), Indian Hills Community College, Kirkwood Community College, Danville Area Community College, Bunker Hill Community College, Howard Community College, Flathead Valley Community College, Bergen Community College, Truckee Meadows Community College, Fulton-Montgomery Community College, Genesee Community College, Rockland Community College (SUNY), Sinclair Community College, Chemeketa Community College, Lane Community College, Portland Community College, SouthwesternOregan Community College,Community College of Philadelphia, Community College of Spokane, Edmonds Community College, Shoreline Community College, Whatcom Community College and Western Wyoming Community College, among MANY others!
How we help?
We explain the complete process of studying in USA. We assess your profile and understand your suitability to study in USA. We suggest areas of profile development so that you could best present yourself and your application to the admissions committee
Timeline and Action Plan:
We create a timeline for you and develop an action plan so that you could finish the application related work timely. For undergraduate students, we believe this is very important since there are numerous activities going on at that point in time eg. School / College academic studies, projects and assignment submissions, extended essay submission (IBDP students), preparation towards preliminary examinations and the pressure of final examinations looming
Based on your interest area, future plans, career objectives, budget and several other factors, we help you select the right undergraduate programs in USA you must apply to. This is very important because you spend application fees per university, send out couriers and invest more during the process and not applying to the right set of Universities would mean a loss of money and time. We categorically suggest Ambitious, Moderate and Safe University options from which you can select from so as to create the right set of final 8 to 10 Universities
We guide you with your documents required for applying to US Colleges. This includes helping you build and edit the right CV, editing suggestions to strengthen your essays and SOP, providing guidance on your recommendation letters, and more. We are one of the leading admission consulting in the country and essay editing is our forte
Applying to 8 to 10 US Universities mean you may end up writing between 16 to 24 essays. We help you edit and refine each and every word of the written essays and we suggest how to improve the content. With limitless iterations, we make your craft the finest essays and bring out the real YOU in your profile. Ask any of our students and they have loved how we have guided them with the essay writing and editing
We guide you through the applications to US Universities where we plan the complete application, help you bring out your strengths in your application, help you fill the application forms correctly, check the content, rectify any errors, and help you submit the application. This is followed by checking the application documents to be sent to the right department at the University
Follow Up Counseling:
We are always there for you. Universities email you their queries or provide updates on your applications. Often times, we follow up with your Universities. After your applications too, generally you are bound to come up with a lot of questions, and we will be happy to help
Many top US Universities would want to do an interview round with you before finalizing your admissions. We provide you with mock rounds and help you build your confidence, so that you could establish to the University that you could contribute well to their class
Once your offers are in, we help you finalize on the right program. Often students face a dilemma at this stage when they receive more than one admit
We will guide on how you have to make your fee payment and get your confirmation from the University
We guide you through the complete student visa process including suggesting the right documents, documentation check, applying for appointment, preparing the visa application file, providing mock interview rounds and more
We try to connect you with other students who are going to the US or who are already studying there
We guide you with booking of your accommodation in US to whatever extent that is possible
Shortlisting the right set of Universities and editing essays is the biggest task where students face issues. We have always encouraged our students to join top Universities and with our brainstorming discussions, we believe to have placed students to Universities that have been their dream!
USA Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in USA, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in USA hassle-free.
We are experts at what we do.We started in 2002 and have helped 1000s of students (personally) since then. The collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in USA
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide