A student can study in UK after 10th std. and do their GCE Advanced Levels (A Levels). A-levels are typically taken between the ages of 16-18. However most Indian students who are looking at pursing their undergraduate education in UK seek out to study in UK after 12th.
Some quick notes to clear your most common queries about undergraduate studies in UK:
- Duration of Bachelors in UK: Bachelors in UK is of 3 years duration in general. Some programs like Medicine, Pharmacy can go over 4 years since State licensure is involved. Most UK Universities also offer a unique Sandwich programme where the course duration increases by one year. A sandwich programme includes one sandwich placement year whereby the UK University offers you a work opportunity in the industry for one year (generally in the 3rd year) and then you can resume studies in the final year
- Intakes: Nearly all Bachelors programs in UK begin in September. The other intake is January but it’s a very small intake and only countable number of programmes are available at specific Universities. Traditional UK Universities will generally never have a January start
- Cost of Studying Bachelors in UK: Course fee for Bachelors in UK ranges between GBP 8000 to GBP 16000 per year (typically ranging from Rs. 8 lacs to Rs 16 lacs)
- SAT / ACT: SAT test or ACT test is NOT required to study in the UK
- UKCAT (for medical and dental applicants only): The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) is used in the selection process by a consortium of UK university Medical and Dental Schools. October 5 is the last deadline by which Indian students can take UKCAT to apply timely for medical admissions for the following year. Students can take UKCAT only once within one test cycle
- English Language Requirement: Either IELTS test or PTE test is compulsory for all examination boards except students who are doing IBDP, where many UK Universities waive the English language requirement. The test could be done within one month from the date you decide to take the test ie. preparing for the test, registering for the test, to appearing for it. If you need to register for the test or need help or coaching for IELTS or TOEFL, you could contact us at +91 9820864001
- Time to Apply (deadline) for Bachelors in UK: Best time to apply for Bachelors in UK is October and November in the year prior to the year you are joining for the forthcoming September. Undergraduate applications are mostly done through UCAS and the UCAS deadline is January 15. After this deadline, the application is marked as ‘late’ but you can still apply. ILW can apply to a large number of UK Universities directly too without using the UCAS application. If you are applying for Medicine or Veterinary Medicine in UK, then the UCAS deadline is October 15 (for international students)
- UK Scholarships: Most UK Universities offer scholarships but these are very competitive. Most UK Universities do NOT have a separate scholarship application. Students are considered for scholarship based on their complete application. Some Universities have different scholarship applications that require students to fill out a separate application, write essay (s) and more. To learn more about UK Scholarships, review our UK Scholarship page
- Work DURING Study in UK: Students can work up to 20 hours per week during the Bachelors course and full-time (40 hours per week) during holidays
- Work AFTER Study in UK: Students get to stay in the UK for an additional of 4 months after their course duration for finding jobs in UK. If the job offer is GBP 20800 or higher annually, then students can apply for a Tier 2 visa which offers an extension to work in UK for another 3 years
- Academic Grades: You will need to submit the grades from 10th grade to 12th grade (term 1). Also remember that your predicted grades (if you still studying in the 12th std and have not received your score) are based on your previous performance. Thus, all years of study are important! 85% or higher in your 12th (or 34 or higher in IBDP) is recommended. Many UK Universities accept Indian students who have scored around 60% in 12th std. too
- Personal Statement: When making an application through the UCAS, students must write a Personal Statement which is of 4000 characters (with spaces) and the same should be under 43 lines. UCAS online application allows you to “preview” your personal statement which will show you if you are within the prescribed limit. When applying directly to Universities, there is no character limit
- Recommendation and School Reports: You will need to designate 1 school teacher as your referee. The guidance counselor at your school has to submit your school profile, transcripts, predicted grades and performance evaluation. This cannot be the same person as your referee! However, if you don’t have a school counselor, we can help you with the application anyway
- Factors to consider while selecting Universities: Choice of course and the interested career, University Ranking, Cost, Availability of scholarships, location, class size, research facilities, international student population, sandwich placement year option. We will help you shortlist the right UK Universities
Wish to study Bachelors in the UK? Here’s how we help as UK Education Specialists:
Free Counselling: We explain the complete process of studying in the UK. We assess your profile and understand your suitability to study British Bachelors degree. We suggest areas of profile development. We help you with your career path, goal setting, suggesting you to go through the right list of UK programmes and much more. Our UK counselling and complete help is absolutely FREE of cost for students
Shortlisting: Based on your interest area, future plans, career objectives, budget, location requirement and several other factors, we help you select the right UK Universities you must apply to. We categorically suggest Ambitious, Moderate and Safe University options
Application Documentation: We guide you with your documents required for applying to the UK. This includes helping you build and edit the right CV, editing your personal statement and additional scholarship essays if any, providing guidance on your recommendation letter content, and more. We are one of the leading overseas education consultants in the country and our professionally made applications will guarantee you an admission
Application: We guide you through the UCAS application as well as we are authorize by many UK Universities to make direct applications. We plan the complete application, help you bring out your strengths in your application, help fill out the UCAS application and other forms correctly, check the content, rectify any errors, and submit your application. This is followed by checking the application documents to be sent to the right department at the University
Follow Up Counselling: We are always there for you. We keep in touch with Universities and provide you updates on your applications. After your applications too, generally you are bound to come up with a lot of questions, and we will be happy to help
Interview rounds: Most UK Universities do NOT require you to do an interview with them. However, some top UK Universities like Oxford University, University of Cambridge would want to do an interview round with you before finalizing your admissions. We provide you with mock rounds and help you build your confidence, so that you could establish to the University that you could contribute well to undergraduate class
Finalization: Once your offers are in, we help you select the right Universities as ‘firm’ and ‘insurance’ choices. Often students face a dilemma at this stage when they receive more than one UK admission offer. This stage is especially important because one mistake in selecting the right UK University here and you may lose out on all admissions offers
Financial Matters: We will guide on how you have to make your fee payment and get your confirmation from the University. We help you with your scholarship application and also avail of any education loans that you may require
UK Visa Guidance: We guide you through the complete UK student visa (Tier 4 visa) process including suggesting the right documents, documentation check, applying for appointment, preparing the visa application file, providing mock interview rounds and more
Connect: We try to connect you with other students who are going to the UK or who are already studying there
Accommodation: We guide you with booking of your accommodation in UK
Other Value-added Services: We provide a pre-departure brief (explain about life and living in the UK, their culture, how much money to carry, opening of bank account and other such valuable information), help you buy forex, book flight tickets, inform the University about your travel dates, etc.
Shortlisting the right set of Universities and editing essays is the biggest task where students face issues. We have always encouraged our students to join top Universities and with limitless iterations to the personal statement and several brainstorming discussions, we believe to have placed students to Universities that could have been their dream!
UK Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in UK, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in UK hassle-free.
We are experts at what we do.We started in 2002 and have helped 1000s of students (personally) since then. The collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We are extremely personal. Students ask us 1000s of questions and we enjoy replying to these. You will have one dedicated team member who you will be able to contact throughout the service. We don’t count the number of hours spent on you. We don’t shed away responsibilities. We work on your side and have just one thing in mind—to get you your best in your career
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in UK
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide