A student can study in UK after 10th std. and do their GCE Advanced Levels (A Levels). A-levels are typically taken between the ages of 16-18. However most Indian students who are looking at pursing their undergraduate education in UK seek out to study in UK after 12th.
Some quick notes to clear your most common queries about undergraduate studies in UK:
- Duration of Bachelors in UK: Bachelors in UK is of 3 years duration in general. Some programs like Medicine, Pharmacy can go over 4 years since State licensure is involved. Most UK Universities also offer a unique Sandwich program where the course duration increases by one year. A sandwich program includes one sandwich placement year whereby the UK University offers you a work opportunity in the industry for one year (generally in the 3rd year) and then you can resume studies in the final year
- Intakes: Nearly all Bachelors programs in UK begin in September. The other intake is January but it’s a very small intake and only countable number of programs are available at specific Universities. Traditional UK Universities will generally never have a January start
- Cost of Studying Bachelors in UK: Course fee for Bachelors in UK ranges between GBP 8000 to GBP 16000 per year (typically ranging from Rs. 8 lacs to Rs 16 lacs)
- SAT / ACT: SAT test or ACT test is NOT required to study in the UK
- UKCAT (for medical and dental applicants only): The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) is used in the selection process by a consortium of UK university Medical and Dental Schools. October 5 is the last deadline by which Indian students can take UKCAT to apply timely for medical admissions for the following year. Students can take UKCAT only once within one test cycle
- English Language Requirement: Either IELTS test or PTE test is compulsory for all examination boards except students who are doing IBDP, where many UK Universities waive the English language requirement. The test could be done within one month from the date you decide to take the test ie. preparing for the test, registering for the test, to appearing for it. If you need to register for the test or need help or coaching for IELTS or TOEFL, you could contact us at +91 9820864001
- Time to Apply (deadline) for Bachelors in UK: Best time to apply for Bachelors in UK is October and November in the year prior to the year you are joining for the forthcoming September. Undergraduate applications are mostly done through UCAS and the UCAS deadline is January 15. After this deadline, the application is marked as ‘late’ but you can still apply. ILW can apply to a large number of UK Universities directly too without using the UCAS application. If you are applying for Medicine or Veterinary Medicine in UK, then the UCAS deadline is October 15 (for international students)
- UK Scholarships: Most UK Universities offer scholarships but these are very competitive. Most UK Universities do NOT have a separate scholarship application. Students are considered for scholarship based on their complete application. Some Universities have different scholarship applications that require students to fill out a separate application, write essay (s) and more. To learn more about UK Scholarships, review our UK Scholarship page
- Work DURING Study in UK: Students can work up to 20 hours per week during the Bachelors course and full-time (40 hours per week) during holidays
- Work AFTER Study in UK: Students get to stay in the UK for an additional of 4 months after their course duration for finding jobs in UK. If the job offer is GBP 20800 or higher annually, then students can apply for a Tier 2 visa which offers an extension to work in UK for another 3 years
- Academic Grades: You will need to submit the grades from 10th grade to 12th grade (term 1). Also remember that your predicted grades (if you still studying in the 12th std and have not received your score) are based on your previous performance. Thus, all years of study are important! 85% or higher in your 12th (or 34 or higher in IBDP) is recommended. Many UK Universities accept Indian students who have scored around 60% in 12th std. too
- Personal Statement: When making an application through the UCAS, students must write a Personal Statement which is of 4000 characters (with spaces) and the same should be under 43 lines. UCAS online application allows you to “preview” your personal statement which will show you if you are within the prescribed limit. When applying directly to Universities, there is no character limit
- Recommendation and School Reports: You will need to designate 1 school teacher as your referee. The guidance counselor at your school has to submit your school profile, transcripts, predicted grades and performance evaluation. This cannot be the same person as your referee! However, if you don’t have a school counselor, we can help you with the application anyway
- Factors to consider while selecting Universities: Choice of course and the interested career, University Ranking, Cost, Availability of scholarships, location, class size, research facilities, international student population, sandwich placement year option. We will help you shortlist the right UK Universities
UCAS application and note on UCAS deadlines:
Question / Information
How many UK Universities can I apply to through UCAS application?
FIVE. You can apply to 5 UK Universities through by using the UCAS application
Can I apply to less than 5 Universities if I am using UCAS application process?
YES. It is up to you to select how many UK Universities you wish to apply as long as you do not cross the limit of 5 UK Universities
How many referees are required during the UCAS application?
ONE. You need only one referee from your school / college (teacher) who has to be registered online in the UCAS system. Your referee will receive an email from UCAS and then he/she should follow the instructions to submit the recommendation letter
How long should be my Personal Statement when applying for admission to UK Universities using UCAS application?
4000 CHARACTERS (with spaces). You will NOT be able to submit the UCAS application if your personal statement exceeds 4000 characters (including spaces). In addition, your personal statement cannot cross 43 lines. UCAS allows you an option to “preview” the personal statement which will show if you are within or beyond the suggested limit
How many UK Universities can I accept if I have been offered admissions by several UK Universities?
TWO. UCAS allows you make a “firm” choice and an “insurance” choice. The other Universities where you have been accepted will automatically be declined. Eg. If 4 out of 5 Universities have offered you a conditional admission, then you must select your topmost University choice as your firm option, and the second best UK University in your list as your insurance choice. This would also mean that you have declined accepting admissions from the other two Universities
Can I change my ‘firm’ and ‘insurance’ University options in the UCAS application because I might not get the grades that I was previous expecting?
NO. If you meet the conditions of your ‘firm’ choice, then you have to accept admissions from that UK University only. If you do not meet the conditions of your firm choice, then your insurance choice becomes your first option.
IMP: It is important that you make the right choices which selecting your two UK Universities because if you do not meet the requirements of both Universities, then you would be left with no offer since you would have declined accepting offers from the remaining Universities who had made you an offer
What is UCAS Track?
UCAS Track is basically an online system developed by UCAS that allows you to check the progress of your application once you’ve submitted it.
What is UCAS Extra?
If you used all your 5 choices and no UK Universities has made you an admissions offer or you have declined the offers you received (sometimes because of the incorrect selection of your ‘insurance’ choice), then you might be able to add ONE more University through in UCAS Track. UCAS Extra basically allows you to add an extra choice if you have not secured admission from any of your chosen Universities.
UCAS Extra is a free service.
UCAS Extra is available between February 25 and early-July
What is UCAS Clearing?
After June 30, if you have not received any offers from UK Universities or you did not meet the Conditions of your offer and even the UCAS Extra did not work out for you, then you will see a list of UK courses that are available to apply to. UK Universities list all the programmes which are not full and through UCAS Clearing you still have a chance to get in to a UK University
Can I apply to the same UK Universities that I applied to previously but now through UCAS Extra or UCAS Clearing?
No. Once you have applied to specific course as a specific UK University and you have not been accepted or you had declined their offer previously, you cannot reapply through UCAS Extra or UCAS Clearing
UCAS Application & Important Stages
UCAS Deadlines for Indian students
UCAS Deadline for studying Medicine and Veterinary Medicine in UK
UCAS application deadline for applying to Oxford University and University of Cambridge
Oct 15 (for all courses at OxBridge)
UCAS Deadline for studying all courses
UCAS Extra Deadline
July 4. UCAS Extra begins on Feb 25
University Decisions Deadline
May 5 – if you would have submitted your UCAS application by January 15 deadline
Deadline to Accept the Offer on UCAS
If you receive all UK Universities’ decisions by 31 March, reply by May 4.
If you receive all UK Universities’ decisions by 5 May, reply by June 8.
If you receive all UK Universities’ decisions by 8 June, reply by June 23
UCAS Clearing Deadline
Applications received after 30 June are entered into Clearing.
UCAS Clearing begins in 1st week of July and extends till Universities display their courses on Clearing. The absolute last date to add clearing choices is October 20
Wish to study Bachelors in the UK? Here’s how we help as UK Education Specialists:
We explain the complete process of studying in the UK. We assess your profile and understand your suitability to study British Bachelors degree. We suggest areas of profile development. We help you with your career path, goal setting, suggesting you to go through the right list of UK programs and much more. Our UK counselling and complete help is absolutely FREE of cost for students
Based on your interest area, future plans, career objectives, budget, location requirement and several other factors, we help you select the right UK Universities you must apply to. We categorically suggest Ambitious, Moderate and Safe University options
We guide you with your documents required for applying to the UK. This includes helping you build and edit the right CV, editing your personal statement and additional scholarship essays if any, providing guidance on your recommendation letter content, and more. We are one of the leading overseas education consultants in the country and our professionally made applications will guarantee you an admission
We guide you through the UCAS application as well as we are authorize by many UK Universities to make direct applications. We plan the complete application, help you bring out your strengths in your application, help fill out the UCAS application and other forms correctly, check the content, rectify any errors, and submit your application. This is followed by checking the application documents to be sent to the right department at the University
Follow Up Counseling:
We are always there for you. We keep in touch with Universities and provide you updates on your applications. After your applications too, generally you are bound to come up with a lot of questions, and we will be happy to help
Most UK Universities do NOT require you to do an interview with them. However, some top UK Universities like Oxford University, University of Cambridge would want to do an interview round with you before finalizing your admissions. We provide you with mock rounds and help you build your confidence, so that you could establish to the University that you could contribute well to undergraduate class
Once your offers are in, we help you select the right Universities as ‘firm’ and ‘insurance’ choices. Often students face a dilemma at this stage when they receive more than one UK admission offer. This stage is especially important because one mistake in selecting the right UK University here and you may lose out on all admissions offers
We will guide on how you have to make your fee payment and get your confirmation from the University. We help you with your scholarship application and also avail of any education loans that you may require
UK Visa Guidance:
We guide you through the complete UK student visa (Tier 4 visa) process including suggesting the right documents, documentation check, applying for appointment, preparing the visa application file, providing mock interview rounds and more
We try to connect you with other students who are going to the UK or who are already studying there
We guide you with booking of your accommodation in UK
Other Value-added Services:
We provide a pre-departure brief (explain about life and living in the UK, their culture, how much money to carry, opening of bank account and other such valuable information), help you buy forex, book flight tickets, inform the University about your travel dates, etc.
Shortlisting the right set of Universities and editing essays is the biggest task where students face issues. We have always encouraged our students to join top Universities and with limitless iterations to the personal statement and several brainstorming discussions, we believe to have placed students to Universities that could have been their dream!
UK Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in UK, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in UK hassle-free.
- Personal Attention
- Connections with Universities
- Total Solution for Studying Abroad
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
We are experts at what we do. Since 2002 we have helped 1000s of students (personally). As one of the leading overseas education consultants in Mumbai, the collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We are extremely personal. Students ask us 1000s of questions and we enjoy replying to these. You will have one dedicated team member who you will be able to contact throughout the service. We don’t count the number of hours spent on you. We don’t shed away responsibilities. We work on your side and have just one thing in mind—to get you your best in your career.
We enjoy when you get scholarships or you save money. Over 70% of our applicants will earn some form of scholarship / financial aid / bursary.
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in UK
Thanks to ILW to give me the ultimate support and guidance to shortlist the Universities and completing my applications on time to get through the best ones.
I happened to chance upon ILW while looking at the possibility of studying abroad as a backup to my plan of pursuing my further studies in India. I was pleasantly surprised and not the least bit disappointed.
With their vast and in depth knowledge of various factors pertaining to certain universities and their respective countries, ILW, specifically Rupali Ma’am and Vishal Sir aided me every step of the way starting from college selection to the subsequent applications and have provided effective guidance. They also almost act as a confidant in the way that they help one clear the silliest of doubts. They are very helpful and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to pursue their education abroad.
They helped me with everything and have taken care of smallest of details to make sure everything is perfect while applying to the universities. I got into one of the best universities in London and it wouldn’t have been possible without Vishal sir and his team. Rupali ma’am has been in contact with me everyday and she helped me with any detail I need about a certain course, university or any doubt regarding my applications. I would highly recommend ILW to anyone who needs guidance regarding their career and college applications.
ILW Consultants have been extremely helpful to me as well as my sister. It is because of them that I am going to study abroad in a very reputed University. To top it all off, the people working there are polite, kind and very soft spoken. I would highly recommend ILW to anybody who is thinking to study abroad. 🙂
I am from Bangalore and got ILW’s reference through my relatives in Mumbai. The team really helped me with the planning, essay editing, and guiding me right through the app process. I wanted to apply to top UK Universities only. I secured nearly all offers at top UK business schools. I did not join as some of my plans changed and I secured a great job back home. However in the future I do plan to do my Masters and I am sure that I will be using the services of ILW Education Consultants again….. Great team!
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide