Cost of studying in the UK for Indian students
Isn’t this the first aspect that comes to your mind when you think about studying in the UK? Don’t be surprised if we say that studying in the UK can be affordable.
Cost of studying in the UK can be divided in to three categories:
Cost of Application (including academic entrance tests)
Tuition Fees and Living Expenses
Other Costs (like insurance, visa fee, air ticket, etc.)
A. Cost of Application to UK Universities:
- Application Fees: Most UK Universities do NOT have an application fee; only a few charge for applications like London Business School, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) or specific department have a certain fee like some programs at Durham Business School. The application fee in such cases is around GBP 50 to GBP 100 (INR 4000 to INR 9000 approx.)
- English Test: IELTS Academic will cost you around INR 13250 approx. IELTS Academic for UKVI will cost around INR 18500 approx.
- Score Reporting: UK Universities do NOT require a separate score reporting, except for a few Universities such as London Business School, LSE
Thus, you can find that the cost of applications to UK Universities is nil or negligible if you consider the same cost for many other countries. Additionally, most UK Universities do not require GRE or GMAT.
B. Tuition Fees and Living Expenses in the UK:
Tuition Fees at UK Universities
Estimated tuition fee (per year):
- Cost of Studying MBA in UK: Course fee for MBA in UK ranges between GBP 10000 to GBP 41000 for the full MBA program (typically ranging from Rs. 10 lacs to Rs 41 lacs). We believe the right average of studying MBA in the UK is GBP 11000 to GBP 18500 (Rs 11 lacs to Rs 18.5 lacs). Some MBA programs like Said MBA (Oxford University), Judge MBA (Cambridge University), London Business School MBA will be higher. To know the cost of all UK MBA programs, have a look at our MBA in UK section.
- Cost of Studying Masters courses in UK: Course fee for MS in UK ranges between GBP 9000 to GBP 21000 (Rs 9 lacs to Rs 21 lacs) for the full program. GBP 11000 to GBP 16000 is what we find as the right range at UK Universities where most students are likely to get admissions. However, some Masters in UK like the ones at Cranfield University, London Business School, LSE may cost higher.
- Cost of Studying Bachelors courses in UK: Course fee for Bachelors in UK ranges between GBP 8000 to GBP 16000 per year (typically ranging from Rs. 8 lacs to Rs 16 lacs). Bachelors in the UK is generally a 3 year program.
- Cost of Studying Foundation courses in UK: Foundation course fee in the UK ranges between GBP 8000 to GBP 12000 per year (Rs 8 lacs to Rs 12 lacs). Consider the cost of studying Bachelors in the UK thereafter.
Living Costs in the UK while studying:
Living Cost in London: £12000 to £14000 per year
Living Cost outside London: £9000 to £11500 per year
The above costs include your accommodation (room and board), travel, food, some books, some clothing and may be some entertainment expenses too.
For UK Visa application, the ‘maintenance funds’ that you need to show are:
- Studying in London: £11,385 (£1265 multiplied by 9 months) if the UK University is in London (inner London boroughs)
- Studying outside London: £9,135 (£1,015 multiplied by 9 months) if the UK University is outside London (outside of inner London boroughs)
Please find below a break down of costs that can be considered while estimating living expenses:
- Books and study materials will cost £500 to £700 approximately per academic year
- Travel costs within the UK will be between £500 to £1000 approximately for the academic year
- Room and Board will cost between £3500 to £7000 approximately for the academic year depending whether you live in private accommodation or university accommodation
- Meals should cost about £1400 a year
- Clothing will cost £500 to £700 annually (if you go to cold places, you better buy some clothes that suit their weather; otherwise you may shiver)
- Personal expenses will cost around £1200 to £2000 approximately for the academic year
C. Other Costs:
- UK Student Visa Fee: INR 32930 is the cost of applying for UK Student Visa (Tier 4) (as on 22nd May 2019. You can track changes in the UK student visa fee here
- Air tickets to travel to the UK: £350 to £600 (depending when you finish your admission process and / or book flight tickets)
- Health / Medical Insurance in UK: Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) costs £225 per person per year
- Car: If you wish to buy a car, assume that it will cost you around £2000 or higher if you fancy a top end car
- Family Member: If you take along other family members with you, assume that your annual expenses will increase about £2500 approximately for each additional family member
Scholarships at UK Universities
Scholarships in the UK are are made available by nearly all UK Universities. However, these do not typically cover the entire cost of tuition fees and/or living expenses. Some merit-based scholarships in the UK go up to 100% but they are very competitive.
Usually UK scholarships range between GBP 1,500 and GBP 6,500 per year. External agencies exist that provide scholarships for Indian students wanting to study abroad in the UK.
Applicants will usually need to hold a place at an institution in order to apply for a university scholarship. We therefore recommend students looking to apply for scholarships to apply to their programs no later than January/February of the year they hope to attend.
UK Admission CounselingIn case you’re confused about your studies in UK, we can help you solve the problem. Once we meet you, and your parents or spouse, we ask you questions to get a clearer idea of your preferences, restrictions, and goals. This will allow us to make a range of suggestions with regard to locations and universities. With more discussions we’ll help you pick between them and narrow it down to the right selection of safe, moderate and ambitions options. We will make your process of studying in UK hassle-free.
- Personal Attention
- Connections with Universities
- Total Solution for Studying Abroad
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
We are experts at what we do. Since 2002 we have helped 1000s of students (personally). As one of the leading overseas education consultants in Mumbai, the collective experience of our team of experts go beyond a 100 years. Many of us have studied abroad and know exactly what your requirements will be, what kind of universities should be best suited for your future, what you need to do to get there.
We are extremely personal. Students ask us 1000s of questions and we enjoy replying to these. You will have one dedicated team member who you will be able to contact throughout the service. We don’t count the number of hours spent on you. We don’t shed away responsibilities. We work on your side and have just one thing in mind—to get you your best in your career.
We enjoy when you get scholarships or you save money. Over 70% of our applicants will earn some form of scholarship / financial aid / bursary.
We keep in touch with Universities. We keep in touch with our past students. We know exactly what a University will require or we can identify it very (very) easily. We help you build your profile, craft a great resume, and statement of purpose (SOP)/essays and bring out the best in you while presenting you to a University. Chances of your admissions evidently rise because we are around.
We help you right from start to end in the process ie. from selecting the right course and university list, documentation preparation, filling out and checking of forms, applying to universities, to securing admission offers, helping you finalize the best choice of university, visa guidance (including documentation, mock interview rounds, application), accommodation booking and much more. Hey! IELTS coaching is also available at our centre. We are brilliant with our essay editing services (remember – you will have to end up writing 18 to 24 essays when you apply to 8 to 10 Universities). We are simply there for everything! #enoughsaid
Mostly all of our students are through word of mouth. You will ENJOY your process and will not have to think how ordinary a question is while you ask us. We reply. We ensure that you remain satisfied. Nearly all our students would give us a 100/100 for our services.
Wall of Fame
We are proud that we could help our students get into some of the top universities in UK
Thanks to ILW to give me the ultimate support and guidance to shortlist the Universities and completing my applications on time to get through the best ones.
I happened to chance upon ILW while looking at the possibility of studying abroad as a backup to my plan of pursuing my further studies in India. I was pleasantly surprised and not the least bit disappointed.
With their vast and in depth knowledge of various factors pertaining to certain universities and their respective countries, ILW, specifically Rupali Ma’am and Vishal Sir aided me every step of the way starting from college selection to the subsequent applications and have provided effective guidance. They also almost act as a confidant in the way that they help one clear the silliest of doubts. They are very helpful and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to pursue their education abroad.
They helped me with everything and have taken care of smallest of details to make sure everything is perfect while applying to the universities. I got into one of the best universities in London and it wouldn’t have been possible without Vishal sir and his team. Rupali ma’am has been in contact with me everyday and she helped me with any detail I need about a certain course, university or any doubt regarding my applications. I would highly recommend ILW to anyone who needs guidance regarding their career and college applications.
ILW Consultants have been extremely helpful to me as well as my sister. It is because of them that I am going to study abroad in a very reputed University. To top it all off, the people working there are polite, kind and very soft spoken. I would highly recommend ILW to anybody who is thinking to study abroad. 🙂
I am from Bangalore and got ILW’s reference through my relatives in Mumbai. The team really helped me with the planning, essay editing, and guiding me right through the app process. I wanted to apply to top UK Universities only. I secured nearly all offers at top UK business schools. I did not join as some of my plans changed and I secured a great job back home. However in the future I do plan to do my Masters and I am sure that I will be using the services of ILW Education Consultants again….. Great team!
a few things, a little bragging
Over 70% students secure some scholarship / funding
16+ years of experience in placing students worldwide